Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Arts Potluck & Canyon Creek : A Travelin' Story, Part One

... ... ... "(unless something very strange happens), I'll be attending a Wisconsin Arts Meeting & PotLuck with Knitsteel." ... ... ...

I was absolutely *thrilled* to be invited by Knitsteel to attend the Arts Potluck which happened on July 31st! I managed to pack my bags, feed my cats (and give them some extra attention), take care of all those last minute details that always seem to pop up before a trip that lasts more than an hour, and was happily on my way to Hollandale, WI by 3:15pm.

I apparently took the scenic route, following the mighty Mississippi all the way down to Pairie du Chien, and made it there in good time, (about an hour & a half). "Only about an hour to an hour and a half to go!" I thought, as I stretched after the first leg of my journey. I only stopped for about 30 minutes (or less) because I wanted to be on my way, and desperately wanted to be on time for the beginning of the festivities.

I clambered back into my car, and proceeded to drive (oh, about 70 mph) on the great open higways of south-western Wisconsin, making my way over to Hollandale. It was a gorgeous day, and I was thoroughly enjoying our gorgeous landscapes while meandering across Wisconsin... and then I hit some of our famed road contruction...

I was driving through a small-ish town, (most likely Cobb), when I had to take a detour to stay on Hwy. 18. "No problem." thought I. "I'll just fill up at this Casey's, and continue on my merry way!" And I did! So I'm driving and driving and driving and driving, and looking at the clock and wondering where in Wisconsin I'm actually at, and meticulously following the little orange detour signs, incredibly grateful that I stopped to fill up the tank. I think I *finally* ended up on the opposite side of Edmund, but I swear the detour took me at least an hour or an hour and a half! (This detour also took me around my planned route of swinging down onto Hwy. 39 between Cobb & Edmund). I wasn't exactly sure where I was until I ended up in Dodgeville and looked at the map. It was 7pm by this time! (I had been on the road for almost four hours!?!).

Well, at least I knew where I was!

I wasn't sure how to get down into Hollandale from Dodgeville, so I asked a very nice young lady in McDonald's for some quick directions... she told me to continue down Hwy. 18 until I saw an exit/sign for Hollandale... I made it all the way to Barneveld and NO SIGNS. =O.o=

At this point, I'm tired and getting a little cranky, (LOL!), so I turned around and took my butt back to Dodgeville. I even stopped at the same McDonald's! I grabbed some food, called Kirsten, (and let her know that I was still alive), and ate. I sat there, wondering what on EARTH had taken me so long to get to Dodgeville, (I could have made it almost to Chicago!), and pondered some more.

The only rational, reasonable explanation is that aliens abducted me while I was on the detour, and set me back down on it an hour later. ( =~.^= ).

I asked the same nice young lady, (whose name is Krystal, BTW), for directions to 191 South, and that FINALLY got me to Hollandale. I think I pulled in to the event at (maybe) 8:30pm or 8:45pm... and the event only lasted until 9! *falls over*

I frantically pulled out all the WIST promotional materials, met keepitmagickal & marinate, (who are absolutely delightful!), gave Knitsteel a quick hug and started handing out WIST postcards & promos like a woman possessed. =^.^;=

"Fashionably Late" would probably be pushing my extremely late (and dramatic) entrance. (I also missed out on some good food! Molasses crinkle cookies are one of my favorites!) I think I postcarded many of the attendees of the event, (yay!), and handed out copious amounts of stickers with keepitmagickal's help. WOO!

After spending a whopping 30 or 45 minutes there, it was time to *go*! *falls over*

So, I'd love to know what happened on that detour. Did it magically get super long for yours truly? Did aliens abduct me and plop me back down an hour later? Was I driving around in circles and not realizing it? I want to hear your craziest, nuttiest, most insane theory about what could have possibly (or impossibly!) happened on my drive down there. You can interpret this in art, writing, jewelry, yarn, soap, candles, crayons, or any other medium you love.

I will give the best story teller a kick butt prize of goodies from my shop, a miniature gift-basket if you will.

Deadline will be at midnight, Wednesday, August 8th. Send me a link to where ever you put up your entry piece. (One entry per person). Links can be sent via convo or email (zenithjade AT yahoo DOT com).

And that's only half the story.
Watch for the other half tomorrow. =~.^=

6 comments:

MineFull said...

Ok, for starters I have to say I'm sorry you had a crazy detour driving experience and got to the potluck late. But I must say you're attitude about it is pretty damn amazing! And to make it even better you make a contest out of it! Well hopefully you didn't have 4 hours of a drive home to conjure up that one!! I'll stay tuned for part 2!

Andrea said...

Heh.

Nope. It was *more* than four hours.

I swear, this trip has broken my brain. LOL.

Thank you for the wonderful compliments! <3!

~Andrea

knitsteel said...

I don't know how you did that either. Next time we do something like that, you can follow me :). I blogged it too.

Sorry I missed the promo stuffing park date. I ended up having a client come by at ten, then daughter was actually sick with a fever.

lk said...

Interesting creatives are scattered about the Driftless Area...living here and there, about the countryside, small towns and valley pockets...
much like Trolls of old....
(Trolls...formerly a race of supernatural beings known for their vast power of work, skillful production and creative energy and powers....who used to inhabit caves, subterranean dwellings and also valley pockets....)

It's possible that the ArtsBuild PotLuck caused a concentration of creatives powerful enough to create some kind of ripple effect in the area creative force...
awakening energies that have settled into mundanity over the last many years.

Tales passed word of mouth tell us all of unique energy, creative beasts and spirits which used to...and probably still do live in these hills and valleys.....
which you drove through....

Ordinary people drive daily and uneventfully over the same lands...
but, you, a highly energetic creative...especially at 70mph...
probably caused a wake and brought the focus of some kind of troll-power upon yourself...which no doubt took charge.

You were not lost, but, may have driven according to a route mapped by another power which saw to it that your excess creative energies
be scattered about in an effort to help generate and support this new creative force that seems to be taking shape.

Well...
just thinking out loud....
Happy to have met you!
Linda

Sara said...

Seems to me, I remember hearing of a UFO landing strip somewhere over in the western part of the state . . . .

Glad you made it through it all, Andrea!

Andrea said...

Linda, I LOVE that story! =*^.^*=

LMAO, Sara!

We get to choose between aliens and trolls? =^.^;=

I'm glad I got through it all too! *falls over*