Thursday, September 20, 2007

Meet Pink Quartz Minerals - Featured WIST seller

I hope you enjoy this interview of Pink Quartz Minerals. Personally I use several of Doree's products, and I'm hooked! (The foundation is my personal favorite) Doree's dedication to a quality chemical free product, her creative energy, and her business savvy is helping her get her makeup business off the ground.

Why did you start making all natural mineral makeup?
I purchased the ID mineral makeup from the television commercial. It said it was natural and good for your skin. Since I have oily, acne prone skin the commercial sounded great. I got it, and was pleased with the application, no messy sponges or fingers! However, within 2 days my face broke out horribly! Upon further research I learned that company along with many others uses a "mineral" called Bismuth Oxychloride in their makeups. It is, in fact, a by-product of mining and is an inexpensive filler used in makeup. It is also irritating and causes breakouts on many users. So, after more research, I learned I could make my own makeup. I bought the raw materials and began mixing using a basic formula found on the internet. I kept refining it, subtracting quite a few ingredients and adding a few others, until I finally came up with the formula I use today. I began using it and immediately was asked by family and friends what I was using, because I not only haven't had a breakout since I started, but my skin looked gorgeous! So I made some for my friends, then family, then decided to start a business as I was going broke supplying everyone with makeup!(They are, however, still my "tester bunnies" for my new products, before I release them to the general public.) I use 6 mineral ingredients in my makeup, and have right now 14 standard foundation colors, although I custom mix blends for individuals who find themselves in between colors. Next came the blush, eye shadows, and all the rest as I find new mixtures and colors are great for different beauty problems.

What's the meaning behind your business name/why did you choose it?
I chose the name Pink Quartz Minerals because my favorite color is pink and I liked the sound of the name- pretty, yet no doubt it's about the minerals!

Where do you find your inspiration?
I find my inspiration first and foremost from the confident way I feel about myself because I know I look great! Over and over I see people I know that try my makeup rave about how good they look, how great their skin feels, and I can see the confidence in them. Plus the fact it is all natural, and to use something that has no chemicals or parabens in it instead of the chemically laden cosmetics normally available makes people feel they are doing something good for themselves, and inspires them (and myself) to make other health conscious changes in their lives. It's amazing to me!

What's the hardest part about running your business? The best part?
The hardest part about running my business at this point is trying to keep up with orders, take care of my family, and grow my business all at the same time. I have a hundred new ideas I would love to implement right now, but I have to keep myself in check and try not to take on too much at once. The best part about running my own business is that it is mine, I am in control of what happens, and every hour of the 16 or so hours I work each day is benefiting myself and my family, not some big corporation.


Do you have any new products or ideas in the works?
Yes, I have quite a few new ideas and products in the works! My newest that I've implemented is the Halloween makeup kits I introduced. Because it is mineral makeup, it is non-toxic and safe for children to wear, as opposed to who knows what is in some of the makeup currently available. I am working on specialized eye shadow kits for different eye colors, and already have my makeup carried in salons in Ohio and Florida, and am working on expanding the private label mineral makeup part of my business.

Where else can we find you on the internet?
I've tried to get my makeup in as many places on the internet as possible with the time constraints I have. I have makeup on my website pinkquartzminerals.com, Etsy, occassionally Ebay, MySpace, DaWanda, Blujay, Lovli, Flickr, Etsy Shops Directory, Talentdatabase.com, Stylehive, Merchant Circle, ePier, and probably some others I can't think of right now! It pays to expand - even if it's just one product!

Do you have a favorite quote? Does it reflect your life and/or business philosophy?
I have a few favorite quotes. My very favorite is "I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem." That one comes in handy quite often! My other favorite quote is by Winston Churchill. "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." I am reminded of that daily, doing what I love to do, and thrilling in each person's excitement at finding "their" color, and helping people look their best! I used to think that was a small thing, but now I realize it is a very important aspect to self-esteem which touches every part of our lives, and the lives of those around us.

What's your favorite Wisconsin activity or place to visit?
I love Wisconsin! We are lucky here, we have big cities and tiny towns, lots of open spaces and friendly people! My favorite thing to do is visit different parks with my son. We'll pack up the car with our fishing poles and a picnic lunch, and there are gorgeous parks in every town we go to. I think that is one of the state's main attributes, it's attention to preserving green space with always the thought of having a place for our children to play.

5 comments:

mud and mint said...

what a great interview jenniffer! now i feel like i know doree a little and i am absolutely going to buy some of her makeup for my mother at christmas (and maybe a little for myself too).

MineFull said...

Thanks Cari...
you (and your Mom) won't be disappointed :)

Andrea said...

Don't forget about Doree's AWESOME lip balms. =~.^= (Trust me, they are fantastic!!!).

Xanthe said...

Great interview. I'm not a make-up person, but I've been thinking of trying some. Since I'm getting older, I have more to hide!
:-D

Angel said...

Yes, Doree makes FABULOUS lip balms. I've ordered her monster tube (cause I use up the others too fast) and man is is a great investment!

Very ingenuitive makeup colors, too! You can't get stuff like this anywhere else.