Thursday, September 27, 2007

Meet WhimzyPinzy - Featured WIST Seller!

Here is my interview with WhimzyPinzy. Hope you enjoy, and don't forget to check out her etsy shop!

*You have fabulous handdyed yarn and also some handspun yarn. When did you start dyeing yarn? Spinning yarn?

I dyed my first yarn almost 5 years ago when I started to knit wool diaper covers for my kids. Spinning...hahaha did not come easy at first, so there were a series of picking the spindle up and putting it away... far away, at one point I ignored fiber and spindle for 1 year :) Then one day I dug it out and spinning seemed to come naturally. Funny how that works.

It was dabbling at first, until I left my job of 11 years to be a SAHM.

Then I needed a "job" and a friend convinced me to do so on etsy. Oh I should mention that My mom taught my sister and I to crochet very early in life and she too crocheted alot, so we were always doing something fiber related. My sister never picked it (crochet) up, her speciality is cross stitch, she does BEAUTIFUL work, but due to carpal tunnel she has been forced to stop doing as much.

*Are there any special techniques you use that you'd like to share? (Tips and tricks) Any special fibers you prefer?

My favorite thing to do when dyeing is to mix colors. I rarely use the dye right out of the bottle. But that comes from 11 years as a hair dresser.

I really have never met a fiber I did not like. Currently 3 of my favs are SeaCell, bamboo and Soy silk.

*How did you end up hearing about Etsy and joining?

My Friend has been selling on Etsy for 2 years. And I was a loyal customer of hers :)
She convinced me to set up shop after months of ho- humming over it.

*What's the toughest part of running your own Etsy business? The best?

Hardest part is not knitting all my yarns. hahaha. However dyeing and spinning so much don't leave much time to knit like I used to. Which is also can be said for the best. PLAYING with all the fibers and yarns!!!!!!!!!!!

*Can you be found elsewhere online? Do you have a blog? A website? Forums or other internet groups?

First, my shop blog is http://www.whimzypinzy.blogspot.com/.
I did just create a website front page (others pages need work yet) http://www.whimzypinzy.com/.
I dont do alot of message boards because I have a hard time remembering to get there lol (right WIST *giggle) but I do try to post in the etsy forums every day.

*Speaking of locations, do you sell your yarn in stores? Where? If you don't, is it something you'd be interested in doing someday?

I sell my handpainted sock yarn at 2 online yarn shops:
http://www.woolgirl.com/ and http://www.yarn4socks.com/

Right now with my family (dh & 3 kids), and since I went back to finish my bachelors degree... I decided not to pick up many more.
But you never know. I would love to dream big and just play with yarn forever :)
I would love someday to do the same with my handspuns.

*Can you tell me something I (probably) don't know about the city where you live? Odd and interesting facts are a bonus.

hahaha I live in a boring little town right on Lake Michigan, Sheboygan. We are home of the Bratwurst. Oh AND my inlaws found out when they moved away that NO ONE can make a good hardroll like Sheboygan can. So we are always shipping some to them.
We do not have an REAL yarn store in town, so that helped push me to dye and spin my own. There is only so much red heart you can handle :)

*What does "home" mean to you? (And who shares your home? Loved ones, pets, friends?).

My "home" is... my family, my friends my customers and everything I know and love.
but in my "house" there is Kurt (dh), Lindsay (me), Reed (ds1), Trey (ds2.5), Alexis (dd), also Dylan (our angel son in heaven; ds2) is always here with us to.
We don't have any pets--ds1 is allergic to dogs and the allergist wants us to wait on any other pets until we get his allergies straightened out.

*Tell me something that I don't know about you!

- I will be 29 (years old) as long as I can get away with it!!!!!!!! being only 5 ft 2in... I can get away with it easy :) Actually I even get carded for Lottery tickets *uggg*

*How did you come up with your business name & what does it mean?

LONG story, but short of it is... My Dad always called me Pinzy as a nickname and still does to this day. So when I was trying to decided on a shop name with my Friend, Roxanne,
She asked me what I wanted the theme of my shop to be. So I responded "FUN with color" so right without wasting a second she says... "Whimzy Pinzy"
My whole family thought this was hilarious and so fitting, so it just fell right into place.

*Is there something you'd like to learn how to do someday? (Arts & Crafts related).

My life long dream craft I have wanted to try since I was a small child is POTTERY! I always wanted to make beautiful bowls, vases, and whatever. We do have a local pottery class, which I always remember being so jealous when a friend would say her and her mother were going there. I could sit and watch someone spinning pottery for hours, even if I never touch the "mud" with my own hands. I find it such a beautiful craft.

*Is there a quote or saying that *you* love? Does this reflect your life and/or business philosophy?

"Take life one day at a time and always remember to have fun"

Oh ya, it definitely reflects my shop. And in my life,... I have been given my share of limes to turn into margaritas (ok I know its supposed to be lemons but I like limes and margarita's...just don't get to drink them often)

*What inspires you?

There is so much that inspires me.

With my new school career... my mom. She went back to school when we were older too as I am and I see how much it has improved their lives.
for the shop - color and anywhere it can be found, nature, fashions, tv, emotion... anything.

1 comment:

MineFull said...

Awesome interview! It's always nice to learn more about our WIST friends! :)