Thursday, March 13, 2008

Meet Bigib - Featured WIST seller

You make beautiful handcrafted jewelry, why did you start making it?
My friend invited me to a bead party in early 2001. She used nylon coated steel wire and crimping beads to make a necklace. Those two items reminded me of Golden Gate bridge.

Then, after my daughter was born, I needed a silver or gold anklet for her. It's our family tradition to give gold jewelry for a new baby. I couldn't find anything I liked. I happened to have taken a wire wrap class at local bead store. So, I decided I want to try to make one for her myself. In 2002 I formed Bigib, LLC and started by making children's jewelry and selling it at WhimsiKidz. After taking metal classes at a local college, I've transitioned to metal jewelry. I still make children's jewelry like first communion name bracelets or baptism bracelets.
How did you end up hearing about Etsy and joining? =*^.^*=
I heard about Etsy from my niece. She emailed a link from an Etsy store. Two years later, I decided to try it.

Like most artists, you've probably made a TON of great art- is there a piece or two that are your favorites? Why?
It's architectural design influenced.

The earrings inspired by a window.







The necklace inspired by a nest.
Necklace inspired by a cable structure.







I'd love a list of where else you're at on the internet- do you have a blog? A website? Forums or other internet groups?
blog: http://bigibdesigns.blogspot.com/
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigib/
myblogspot: http://www.mybloglog.com/buzz/members/bigib/

Speaking of locations, do you sell your artwork in stores? Where?
I sell my children's jewelry line at WhimsiKidz-Elm Grove.
I used to sell my adults line at Mio Bella. Unfortunately, they went out of business last year. So, I'm looking for new place. Can anyone make a recommendation?

What does "home" mean to you?
Home means a place where I feel comfortable, safe and be myself. I share with a hubby, 2 daughters ( 6 years and 1 year) and 2 fish (Nemo and Fishy fish).


Tell me something that I don't know about you!
I was born and raised in Indonesia. I have a Bachelor degree in Architecture and MBA in Finance from the University of San Francisco. I used to work for Arthur Andersen then GE Medical Systems. After we have our first born, I went back to work. I put her in a day care. One day, I made a surprise visit to the day care and was surprised myself. I decided it's time for me to put my family as a first priority. So, I hung my career suit, put on my drool proof shirt, joined moms group and fill the day with playgroup, playtime, library visits and creative time. At night, I turned into a creative owl and make jewelry.

How did you come up with your business name & what does it mean?
Bigib is a made up name. My marketing teacher once told me to pick a name people can easily remember and no one has used it before. So, I made up a name "big"... growing big business, think big ideas, ... and made it into a palindrome "bigib" .

Is there something you'd like to learn how to do someday? (Arts & Crafts related).
A lot. I want to learn about felting, soap making, candle making, sewing, knitting, doll making... did I say a lot?

I'd love to know what you'd like to "get" out of being a part of WIST! (Community, sales, promotion, etc!). Are we fulfilling that need right now? Is there anything you'd change?

I want to meet friends to share ideas, tips, tricks, information, promotion and laughter.

What inspires you?
Currently, I'm nuts about Santiago Calatrava. I like his designs. I also like Mario Botta's designs. Buildings inspire me. I guess anything, from man made to natural.

I also love quotes! Is there a quote or saying that *you* love?

Henry Ford " If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. "

3 comments:

Xanthe said...

Another great interview! Thanx Jen!
I like the background info...
Beautiful photos, beautiful jewelry!

MP3 e MP4 said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Try Eyelash Art, The new gallery in Cedarburg. Its owned by Najmee Khan, a local WI artist. She makes jewelry too. Its on the 3rd floor of Cedar Creek Settlement N70W6340 Bridge Road, Cedarburg, WI 53012.
Her website is najmeekhan.com