Thursday, April 17, 2008

Meet Cute & Sweet - Featured WIST seller

You make adorable hair accessories, why did you start making them?
I started making hair accessories for a few reasons. First and foremost because I have two little girlie-girls who love to wear them! And, secondly, because I could never find exactly what I needed at a price that was reasonable. I love creating simple hair accessories and keeping the prices affordable for Moms just like me.



How did you end up hearing about Etsy and joining?
I heard about Etsy through the forums on Babycenter.com of all places. Someone mentioned a great website that consisted of all handmade items so I checked it out and joined as a buyer shortly after. I spent a week or so scoping out the site and after talking my husband into the possible opportunities Etsy could offer me, I joined as a seller as well.

What's the toughest part of running your own Etsy business? The best?
The toughest part in running my business is finding the time to execute all my ideas! I’m always having new ideas, techniques and color combinations pop up in my head, but I just don’t have the time to do them all. As a SAHM, I need to balance my time between the girls, housework and craft time. I sneak my craft time in any and every chance I get.There are a lot of great things about running your own business, but one of my favorites is working with customers on custom orders. I love that Moms who were like me (never able to find exactly what they’re looking for) can come to me and we can work together for that perfect hair accessory.

Like most artists, you've probably made a TON of kick butt art- is there a piece or two that are your favorites? Why?
My favorites right now are my woven headbands. I love them because the possibilities are endless when I create them. There are so many color combinations and patterns that I never get bored. Right now my favorite is the On Wisconsin Headband—I love the bold colors and the way the stitching in the black ribbon stands out. Of course we’re huge Badgers fans so the color combo will always have to remain a favorite!


I'd love a list of where else you're at on the internet?
I have a blog which I try to keep updated: http://cuteandsweetx2.blogspot.com/
I have a Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cuteandsweetx2/
And, I’m also on My Space: http://www.myspace.com/cuteandsweetx2
I’m also part of Posh Mamas: http://www.poshmama.com/profile/cuteandsweet
And Squidoo: http://www.squidoo.com/cuteandsweet

Speaking of locations, do you sell your artwork in stores? Where?
Yes I do!! I just recently sold wholesale to a boutique in St. George, Utah. I never even thought of doing that before, but when I was approached, it seemed like an awesome opportunity. I can’t wait to do more!

Can you tell me something I (probably) don't know about the city where you live?
Sun Prairie is probably best known for their annual Corn Festival. Yes, a festival that revolves entirely around corn on the cob. We’ve gone the last two years (we’ve only lived here 3 years) and I must say it is really good, fresh corn!
What does "home" mean to you?
I share my home with my husband and two little girls ages almost 5 and almost 2. Right now my home is very kid-friendly and most of the time the playroom extends to every other room in our house. Except for maybe the laundry room? But, that’s the way we like it. That’s what home means to me…any place you and everyone you love can feel comfortable in.

Tell me something that I don't know about you!
I am the world’s most absolute worst cook. I make a mean lasagna and a great, spicy chili, but after that I screw up even pre-cooked frozen foods. It’s a running joke with my family, but I have no hurt feelings—after all, it’s my Mom’s fault for always kicking me out of the kitchen while she was cooking! ;)

I love funny stories- do you have one you'd like to share?
This is a family favorite and usually comes up every Christmas…. I really don’t remember why exactly, but one Christmas I relentlessly teased my brother about the fact that he was going to get a flannel shirt for Christmas. (He had this “fear” of button-up shirts which is a whole other story…but that’s probably where it all stemmed from.) Anyway, Christmas arrives and we head over to my Grandma’s house as we always did. Unaware of the video cameras pointed directly at me, I innocently sat next to my Grandma to open gifts. I opened a few from aunts and uncles and moved onto one from my Grandma. I opened as usual and to my horror found this hideous brown flannel shirt…from my Grandma! I was about 13 at the time…a crucial fashion point in my life where Guess jeans were cool not flannels, and could not believe my Grandma would buy this for me. I just knew she was going to ask if I liked it. Out of the corner of my eye I looked to see if my Grandma was watching me so I could pretend I never opened that so-called gift, and when I saw she wasn’t, I quickly closed the box, except then she turned to me, so I felt the need to reopen it. But wait! She wasn’t looking at me…so I hurriedly closed it again. I so did not want to hurt Grandma’s feeling for her misunderstanding of what’s cool, but that shirt was so not and I wanted nothing more than to remove it from my lap and pretend I never saw it. It’s hilarious to watch my reactions on the video between my nail biting and constantly looking out of the corner of my eyes to see if anyone was watching. It was sheer horror for me! My family is big on practical jokes especially at Christmas time and I guess this was my initiation. My Dad dug that shirt out his closet and decided it was the best revenge for what I put my brother though.Thank goodness there are no pictures but maybe at the next WIST meet up I’ll bring the video for all to see….NOT!

How did you come up with your business name & what does it mean?
Cute & Sweet is so generic now that I think back on it, but I guess it’s easy to remember. Anyway the story goes like this…I was busy doing some things on the computer and hadn’t heard a peep from my girls within a few minutes so I went to check on them. I found them...my 4 year old daughter sitting on the floor; my 1 year old snuggled up in her lap and a pile of books beside them. My oldest was “reading” to my youngest and it was the cutest and sweetest thing I ever saw. When I decided to name my business after that moment, I thought it summed up my shop pretty good as well. Is there something you'd like to learn how to do someday?
I’d love to learn to crochet!

I'd love to know what you'd like to "get" out of being a part of WIST!
I think WIST is an awesome community to be a part of and I can’t think of anything that needs to be changed. I just wish I had extra hours in my day to be more active.

I also love quotes! Is there a quote or saying that *you* love?
I try to live by this quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson:
“Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.” For me, life is no fun if you’re not willing to take the risk and try something new, even if there’s a possibility of failure. Tomorrow will always be there to try again.

What inspires you?

I’m inspired anytime I walk into a craft store! But if I see a certain color combination or a patterned fabric that really stands out, my mind floods with ideas. The ribbon aisle always gets me. ;)

2 comments:

Posh Mama said...

Great interview and a wonderful artist! Much love, xoxo-pm

Andrea said...

Reading the part about how you got your shop name... Awwwwww! That must have been absolutely adorable!

I love your headbands, too! =*^.^*=