Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Meet Eves Originals- Featured WIST seller

You make wide variety of handmade items, most with fairy appeal, why did you start making it?

I've been a huge fan of fantasy stories and movies all my life.The earliest Fairy I ever drew was in kindergarten in Germany. My Mother still has the crayon drawing in an old photo album. I discovered my own style of Fairies quite by accident and have since then created over 126 original designs, of which I have published only 59 so far due to time restraints, which are in the style of the old fashioned Scherenschnitt (shiluette profile scissor cut-outs) that I create with black ink.

Are there any special techniques you use that you'd like to share?

I do so many crafts that it is impossible here to list but I can tell you that I keep nothing a secret, so if you are interested in something specific just ask me. What is knowledge worth if I can't share what I know with someone else?!
How did you end up hearing about Etsy and joining?

I received an invitation when etsy first opened up by someone whom had stumbled across my website, but hoaxes are big online and I'm a skeptic so I cautiously waited it out and nearly forgot about it until someone again sent me an invitation in early 2007. Once I saw how it had grown I signed up right away.

What's the toughest part of running your own Etsy business?

Trying to juggle a very demanding full time job, lining up Brick & Mortar Shops for wholesale and continuously create & list on etsy all in a dayswork. I never seem to have enough hours in a day to do all that I want to. The best? Having a place to sell my art worldwide and having had orders from almost every continent and almost all the States here in the US. It's a rush everytime to get an order from overseas :)




Like most artists, you've probably made a TON of kick butt art- isthere a piece or two that are your favorites?

I love my dolls, each and everyone has taken me over 100 hrs. They are what I remember much from my childhood. The French clowns at the circus, my Witches from many story books and of course my Fairies from many stories. I'm so fond of them I have only sold a few so far because it is so hard for me to seperate myself from them. The largest clown is standing 2 feet tall on a handmade mosaic ball. http://www.flickr.com/photos/evesoriginals/1214251839/

I'd love a list of where else you're at on the internet.


and have been featured here:



"The Handbook to Handmade" ETSY ARTISTS Volume 1 page (24 & 25). Available from http://timothyadamdesigns.etsy.com/

Speaking of locations, do you sell your artwork in stores?

Yes, a few Gift Shops have purchased my art wholesale and the list is growing.

Ravenworks, West Gate Mall, Madison, Wisconsin (Leather Pouches, Leather Smudge Stick Cases, Jewelry & Fairy Greeting Cards)

Absolutely Art, 2322 Atwood Ave., Madison, Wisconsin (B&W Fairy Greetings Cards & Gemstone Jewelry)

The Altered Muse, 4318 W. Vickery, Fort Worth, Texas (Leather Pouches & Handmade Paper)
Fairyland Emporium, 89 E. North Ave., Comer, Georgia (B&W Fairy Greeting Cards)
Wovenpaint, 99A Main Street, North Easton, Maine (B&W Fairy Greeting Cards)

Lightspeed, (address coming soon, brand new Gift Shop) Chicago, Illinois (Color Fairy Greeting Cards)


What does "home" mean to you?

Home to me is where my art studio is as well, I have to be able to create in a spur of the moment, day or night since I have already so little time to begin with (I hope this will change one day so that I can create art all the time and no longer have to rely on a mundane job to pay my bills) Currently I share my home with my Bichon Frise Puppy Jasmine (although already 8 yrs. old this Christmas, she's still as playful as a puppy and as mischivous as a pixie) and just the usual Fairy Folk that comes to visit my studio other then the ones that made their home in my cupboards and amidst my houseplants :)

Tell me something that I don't know about you!

I believe in recycling and helping Mother Earth out as much as possible. If I can use it in my art I will, if I can not then it's going into a big Box until I find someone that can use it or until I find a place that will create something out of it so that it doesn't end up in our already overloaded landfills.

How did you come up with your business name & what does it mean?

I've had the name since 1991 when I lived out in the country and I needed something real fast because a local Ace Hardware Store wanted to carry my windchimes that I was making at that time. A friend actually came up with it and it's sort of stuck with me ever since. It's hard to change it after all these years so I just added the "Enchanted Art by Eve" as a second liner ;)

Is there something you'd like to learn how to do someday? (Arts &Crafts related).

Absolutely!!! All the time!!! There are tons of new things that come out on the market all the time and all of them interest me and I'd love to learn them. I want to take a PMC class so I can create my Original Fairy designs into pendants. I'd love to learn how to weld so that I can recycle Food Cans, copper piping, brass fittings and such and turn them into Garden Statues and Garden water Fountains in my Fairy Designs. There is so much more but the list would get too long ;)

I'd love to know what you'd like to "get" out of being a part of WIST! Are we fulfilling that need right now?

Yes you are, especially with the patience this group has provided for artists that still have unfortunatly a full time mundane job to pay the bills.

Is there anything you'd change?

Not at the moment. I think you are all doing a terrific job! I just wish that I could access a lot of the pages while I am at work on my break time in order to be able to participate more since most major websites are security blocked, once at home I have to get some sleep since I work 10-12 hr. nights. On my off days I have to of course hurry making creations :) leaving hardly any time for much else.

Is there a quote or saying that *you* love?

My absolute favorite quote is: "The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open!" author unknown


What inspires you?

Everything around me, people, animals, nature, the economy, childrens stories, other artists and their magnificant creations, life it self and of course the regular Fairy Muse that happens to house herself in my kitchen garden ;)

3 comments:

Space Oddities said...

great interview! love your work, eve!

goooooood girl said...

Feel good......

Nature's Corridor said...

I love those necklaces!