Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Moo Crew Feature


Find this week's featured shop, Apollo Hills Crafts, by clicking on the image above.

Judi is an incredibly talented quilter & in her shop you will find an array of beautiful quilted gifts!

1) Tell us about your work & what drew you to it!

I started sewing for myself when I was about 11 years old & needed some clothes to wear! I continued through high school & then sewed for my family & myself for many years, until my children were into high school. By that time, my daughter had taken over making her own clothes! That is also about the time we both got into doing the quilted items & doing craft shows. For many years I have made quilts, quilted table items & things for home decor. Just recently, maybe a year ago or so, I started with bags, totes & purses. That was quite by accident as the first few bags I made were not that much fun or inspiring. Now, I use mostly my own patterns that I have worked up as I go. Each bag is different! I made a camouflage tote bag for my grandson this past fall & he just lobes that! His cars & tractors fit in just perfectly!


2) What is most enjoyable about your work?

Working with the many, many different fabrics there are to choose from these days. Being in my sewing room enjoying the serenity there (even when it is a mess!). The joy of seeing something completed.

3) What is your biggest challenge?

Finding the time to sew with all the other things that have to happen first. We own a working Dairy Farm. That has to happen first!! Finding the time to even list items for sale on Etsy is challenging. Saying 'no' to buying more fabric! Saying 'no' to buying more Hostas for my gardens! Tee-hee! That never happens!

4) How are you inspired?

By going to a quilt shop & seeing the new fabrics! Especially the quality fabrics at quilt shops. Batiks are my favorite! By going to a quilting class & listening to others talk about what they have been making. By teaching a class on making purses & seeing everyone busy at their sewing machines making a bag for themselves. I always want to go home & start something new.


5) Apart from creating, what do you enjoy?

I have numerous perennial beds in the yard & I guess gardening would be my second love. I belong to Bangor Garden Club ( for many, many years) & am a Master Gardener. Both organizations have community involvement obligations. Way, way too many in the spring months. I am also involved with the Historical Society & help maintain the perennial beds at a little church near us that was built in 1874.


One of Judi's beautiful gardens

6) What is your most cherished handmade item?

I love them all!

7) Is there a rule you can't help but break?

Following patterns! It is very hard (even with clothing) to follow the pattern.

8) Name one thing you could never live without!

My sewing machine! My fabric! (Of course, my husband & kids are first on the list!)

9) Tell us your top five books, movies, songs/bands, &/or websites!

Almost anything by Stephen King.
The new Hostapedia by Mark Zilis that my children gave me for my birthday.
Any James Bond movie.
The Rolling Stones, Jonny Cash & many others that I can't remember.
Many quilting & applique & gardening websites. The Renegade Gardener is one favorite. Also, HostasDirect.com.

In celebration of her feature, Judi is offering a $15 gift certificate to her Etsy shop. (click any image in this post to peruse her shop!)



To be the lucky winner, just post your comment & be sure we are able to find you if your the lucky winner!
The winner will be chosen randomly on Sunday, May 17! Good luck everyone!

1 comment:

Pam Warden Art said...

Great feature. Love your work.
Pam