Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Moo Crew Feature


This week's featured member is Bobbi from Kitty Grrlz! Visit her shops & you'll be blown away by all the beautiful yarns & knit gifts! She has such a great eye for color & texture combinations.

1) Tell us about your work & what drew you to it!

I am a librarian, or was, but always needed a creative outlet. I started making jewelry in 2004, but while at a show, I learned how to knit. That was pretty much the beginning... I learned how to knit, and then, after the first time knitting with handspun yarn, started on the path to spinning my own yarn. Spinning has really "clicked" with me, and it is definitely my favorite thing to do. I still enjoy knitting, but the majority of my time is spent spinning fun, colorful yarns! Spinning is very soothing & relaxing to me (most of the time) and I love the colors and textures I get to work with.


2) What is most enjoyable about your work?

I really enjoy working with the fiber, and seeing the transformation from the roving to the finished yarn, and then into a knit item. I also love being able to work with such great colors. I think the colors and the textures are my favorite part of spinning yarn and knitting.
This is just one of my favorite yarns (that hasn't sold yet) as all of the yarns I spin are my favorite! (especially the art yarns!) Below is my all-time favorite colorway, "Plum Divine". I'll be spinning more of it soon!


3) What is your biggest challenge?

Right now, I'd say it is fighting with the pain I start to feel if I spin too much. I like to spin as much as possible, but I'm learning that my body just isn't going to let me. I have to take care of my hands! So, I need to balance my time between various aspects of my business - the administrative "stuff", online "stuff", fiber preparation, spinning, knitting, and anything else that may come up - instead of just spinning all the time, which is what I WANT to do. I also have to allow myself to take breaks now and then.

4) How are you inspired?

I'm inspired by all that is around me, as well as the way the colors and textures make me feel, think, or see. I'd say my interest in and reaction to color is what drives me most of the time.

5) Apart from creating, what else do you enjoy?

Well, since this is currently my full-time job, I have to say that it consumes me, my life, etc. But, I do have a boyfriend and a cat and I do enjoy hanging out with them. : )

6) What is your most cherished handmade item?

The very first sweater I ever knit! It was probably way beyond my knitting level at the time, but I love it, and usually wear it to shows. Here is a rather bad picture of it, taken well before I had my better camera:


7) Is there a rule you can't help but break?

I am not a "technical" spinner. I can't tell you about it in terms like "ratios" and "twists per inch", etc. I did take a class, and feel it laid the foundation for what I do, but I also just "wing it" a lot and feel that it works just fine for me. I don't think I would ever want to pursue formal training because I think it would take some of the "magic" out of it for me.

8) Name one thing you could never live without!

I hate to say it, other than the obvious of my boyfriend, family, and cat - the INTERNET! I feel completely out of touch when we occasionally have problems and lose our connection. I get rather panicky, actually, and this has only gotten worse now that so much of my business relies on it!

For my business, I also couldn't function without my spinning wheel! Without it, I would be lost.


9) Tell us your top five books, movies, songs/bands, &/or websites!

Being a librarian, I have a lot of books that I enjoy, but nothing really stands out right now. I like early 90s alt-rock (Nirvana, Hole) but enjoy all kinds of music. I have lots of TV shows I like, but I'd say Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my all-time favorite. As far as websites go, I really don't spend a lot of time just surfing the web - I stick to Etsy, Flickr, Ravelry, and sometimes the show recaps on Zap2it.

10) Besides Etsy, where can your work be found?

I do have an Artfire and lov.li page, as well as my own website but the truth of the matter is my main online selling venue is Etsy.

I also have a blog, a Facebook page for my shop as well as a personal page, & a MySpace page and my yarn can be found on Ravelry.

To celebrate her feature, Bobbi is offering a $25 gift certificate to either of her shops - her knits can be found in her Kitty Grrlz Knits Shop and her hand spun yarns can be found in her Kitty Grrlz Yarn Shop. To enter, visit one of her shops & pick out your favorite item. Then, come back to post your comment telling us why you love it & how you'd use it! Bobbi will choose the winner randomly next Wednesday! Good luck everyone!

17 comments:

Mazzy Blue Studios said...

I would have to say my current favorite right now is Kitty Singles - Autumn Blaze - HandDyed HandSpun Single Ply Wool Yarn 142 yards 4.7 oz
Just beautiful colors!!! But Bobbi knows how much I LOVE her Yarn:)
I would use this beautiful yarn on a very special Art Doll...and she would have the most beautiful hair:)

~Hugs~

Selina

Anita said...

I absolutely love the Adriatic art yarn in Bobbi's shop! I have quite a selection of Bobbi's yarns, which I use to knit scarves. I am always amazed and delighted by all the colors and textures that she mixes together, and how wonderful they always end up looking in my scarves.

Bobbi's shop is my favorite place to buy art yarn!
xoxoxAnitaxoxox

iWunder said...

I love all of the FunctionArt yarns in Bobbi's shop, and truth be told the Plum Divine is my favorite too. Ask her, maybe she will tell you how I literally begged her to let me buy the last skein she had even though it had been marked reserved for someone else! I used this yarn, as well as many other colorways, to make the gorgeous neck warmer cowls currently in my etsy shop. I don't have to do any sort of fancy stitch, the yarn speaks for itself!

rebelhousewife said...

I think I would want the Kitty Singles - Thick n Thin - Torchwood - HandDyed HandSpun Single Ply Yarn 100 yards 3.7 oz British superfine merino wool. I have a thing for thick and thin yarn, and I love the colors in this one. I would probably make a simple chunky hat or little hand warmers, my favorite for showing off lovely yarn.

reblehousewife

Lise said...

First, I would like to say that I am a huge fan of Bobbi's work! Her yarns are so beautiful...Second, the yarn that I would love to get would be the 'Function Art-Adriatic, 100 yards' skein. I just love the mix of blue, green and snippets of purple throughout its various textures. I have it in mind for a fabulous sloppy/floppy rolled brim hat that I would be proud to wear.

Stephanie said...

I am in love with your Sangria Garden Rose handspun, http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=25568270.
Seriously, I can't keep my eyes off of it! And the name combines 2 of my favorite things, sangria and garden roses. Its seriously perfect, and I can think of a million things I could make with it. I love art yarns, they always give that extra wow factor to a project and make them unique. Although, I'll admit, if I were to make somethign with this yarn, I would keep it for myself! haha.

my7kids said...

LOVE the functionart Adriatic and Mourning Dove's cousin. And the Beautiful Bamboo Serenity.

Thanks for the chance to win!

Nikki
jesus_iscomin AT yahoo DOT com
and on Twitter
My7kids Recycled Yarn Shop
HeartFeltFun Accessory Boutique
Fluff4ewe Batts and Handspuns!
My Thoughts on Life, Yarn, Kids, and Other Stuff

SupaCindy3000 said...

I love all of Bobbi's bamboo, but especially the Summer Shades colorway.

cdaniele63@yahoo.com

Angelbets said...

My favorites are any and all of the bamboo yarns.. wonderful silky feel and make fabulous boutique bags. Tho, i'm also loving the Art yarns and curious about the Adriatic art yarns. Love your yarns Bobbi !!

Mia said...

omg I love em all!!! FunctionArt - Sangria Garden Rose - HandDyed HandSpun Art Yarn 88 yards 3.2 oz merino wool- it looks so soft and I do adore the colors too:)

Shrimp Salad Circus said...

Okay, I can't settle on a color, but I love the whole 'Function Art' line from the yarn shop. This would be perfect (and hide flaws!) for my budding crochet habit!

shrimpsaladcircus@gmail.com

jama Holmes said...

I absolutely love Bobbis' FunctionArt Yarn. Right now I am eyeing her Adriatic Handdyed Handspun Art Yarn. I have really enjoyed all the yarn I have purchased from her. Actually, I think I am going to go buy it right now!!!! Thanks from Evergreen, jama

Nova said...

I like Beautiful Bamboo in Mocha Bliss. It would be perfect to make something for summer!

SillyLittleLady said...

There are so many beautiful yarns in your shop! My favorite though, if I had to pick, would be the Cormorant, I would use it to knit my boyfriend a snowboarding beanie I think :)

Rachelle Sharp said...

My favorite yarn is the Beautiful Bamboo - Peachy Keen Taffy - HandDyed HandSpun Single Ply Bamboo Yarn. I love, LOVE the pink and orange combo. I would use it to make a skinny scarf that would be the envy of all I know!

Dana said...

My absolute favorite is the Beautiful Bamboo - Springtime in Paris - HandDyed HandSpun Single Ply Bamboo Yarn. I adore the dye colors as well as the theme idea. The yarn has an amazing sheen, and (having bought her bamboo yarns before) I know how soft it is due to how well it is spun. I would use it to make an amazingly soft facecloth set!
Dana :)
SpaDelights[at]gmail(dot)com

Dana said...

Sorry... I messed up my email address... it's supposed to be:
SpaDelightsKC[at]gmail[dot]com
Thanks!
Dana