Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Moo Crew Feature

This week's featured shop is Jewelry Infusions! Take a look through Michelle's shop & you will see beautiful pieces made by a very talented local artist. I've posted a few of my favorites here!


1) Tell us about your work & what drew you to it.

I had recently graduated with my bachelor's degree in art. In quick succession, I also got married & bought a new house. I didn't have a lot of money to invest in supplies for my artistic passion at the time, which was pottery that was wheel thrown & altered. So, I was on the lookout for something that was affordable & compact enough that I could do at home.

My brother bought me a pendant necklace that was resin with three little flowers embedded within & I fell in love with a new medium!!! I didn't know anything about resin, but I found it fascinating. I bought a book & some supplies & started working.

It definitely took some trial & error, but I loved the flexibility & adaptability that resin allows. I tend to bore easily & resin has kept me preoccupied for almost 5 years now. My work tends to be one-of-a-kind pieces with natural objects, handmade papers & fabrics embedded within.

This is my "work station" (a.k.a. a tupperware lid - resin is very messy & I'm constantly looking for new flat spaces to mess up)


Here's a picture of a pendant currently in progress. This is actually a latex mold I made of buttons, that I found works rally nice for pendants. The piece I'm making is for a friend & really good customer who wanted something French chic. she wanted a fleur de lis, so I found this silver charm which is embedded within clear resin. The next layer will be a black lace & clear resin. Lastly, she mentioned that she liked pink... so, that will be the cack. In resin work, you often work from the backside... which makes it fun to see when you finally peel it out of the mold.

2) What is most enjoyable about your work?

I really like creating one-of-a-kind pieces & custom orders. It satisfies my need to do something different. Custom work is always really satisfying, as well, because you are creating something rea
lly special that your customer has envisioned. I love making these come to life! These customers tend to be repeat customers, also, when they think of another vision they'd like created.

3) What is your biggest challenge?

My biggest challenge has always been space. When we first bought our house, I had an office/work space that was frustrating because it had to be double-duty. When our first son was born, my space now became an office/work space/ extra bedroom. And now that our second son was born in February, my work space is virtually non-existent. I now have a closet that houses my supplies & I am forced to work in the kitchen & back. I would LOVE a space where I can spread out & with enough storage so that I don't have to pick up right away if I don't want to.

This is my "studio" (a.k.a my kitchen).
My son likes to sit & draw while I work.

4) How are you inspired?

I'm inspired by my customers who bring their visions to me. I'm also inspired by going for walks & collecting little flowers & bits of nature.

5) Apart from creating, what are you passionate about?

I am passionate about my family. My husband, who works very hard so that I can stay home & take care of our two sons ( and play with my art, whenever there's free time!). My oldest son is going to two next month & he is equal parts sweet & mischevious (I think he takes after me). My youngest son is is four months old & smiles these huge, heart-melting grins (but also can wail like nobody's business).

6) What is something you've always wanted to try, but haven't yet?

I would love to learn how to blow glass. I think it is such a beautiful & challenging process. The UW had an awesome class, but I never had the opportunity to take it.

7) What is your most cherished handmade item?

My most cherished handmade item is actually a ceramics piece that I created at the UW. It was this new style that I was trying & the first one that I did. It didn't turn out as I expected, but I loved it even more for that.


Here it is. This was hand built. I just started building one day, with no idea where it was headed. This is what I ended up with.

8) Is there any rule you can't help but break?

I think rules are important, but nothing new is made without bending a few.

9) What could you never live without?

I've learned that all I need to be happy is my family & something to keep my hands busy.

10) Tell us your top five!

Movie: What Dreams May Come - for the message & it's georgeous artistry
Music: I lean towards folk
Website: www.thequiltshop.net
Book: The Last Time We Met - Anita Shreve - the most ingenious book I've ever read
Favorite Etsy Site: Found Object Fashion - She happens to be my sister, but she makes the most amazing items from repurposed clothing.

11) Besides Etsy, where can your work be found?

Anthology. A great store in the 200 block of State St. that features artists from around the state of Wisconsin. They have a unique mix of handmade items & also have classes.

12) Do you have any current or ongoing specials?

I have an ongoing sale of great pieces from my etsy site that I would just love to see find homes. Look in my sale section. I also would like to extend free shipping to anyone who mentions this feature. (Just mention this feature in the 'notes to seller' & wait for a revised invoice.)


To celebrate her feature, Michelle, would like to have a drawing for a
$15 gift certificate to her shop, Jewelry Infusions!
To enter, just visit her shop & leave a comment about your favorite item!
Michelle, will randomly choose a winner next Wednesday, 7/1.
Good luck everyone!






1 comment:

Gwendolyn's Design Blog said...

Beautiful work! Inspiring!