Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Moo Crew Feature

This week’s featured shop is OddStuffbyXanthe, a delightfully fanciful place to find original prints and collages, including jewelry!

1) Tell us about your work & what drew you to it.

Right now I mostly work in painted paper collage although my background is in jewelry and metalworking. I injured my wrists years ago and could no longer forge metal. I puttered around trying different mediums and being a Stay-at-Home Mom. Just before my youngest started school I bought a copy of Somerset Studio magazine at Borders in Madison. I was amazed! I loved the mixture of mediums and techniques. I played around and experimented. I was hooked real fast! Since then I've taken a handful of classes at Valley Ridge Art Studio in Muscoda, WI and I just figure things out on my own.

2) What is most enjoyable about your work?

I feel like it is playtime! I love creating interesting textures with paint. There is no wrong way to do any of this, I may not like a result, but I learn from the process.

3) What is your biggest challenge?

Finding the time to work. I guess that can be a challenge when you work from home. It is hard for me to ignore what needs to be done around the house and the yard to focus on studio time. I also am active in volunteer work and find it hard to say "no" when help is needed!

4) How are you inspired?

My children are a huge inspiration. I am trying to recapture what most adults loose, that simplicity of shape, color, and line that kids naturally have in their art. I'm doing my best to embrace a sense of whimsy and not be too critical.

5) Apart from creating, what do you enjoy? What are you passionate about?

I love to read, garden, and to cook. I do a lot of crafts and projects with my kids. When I can, I participate in swap-bot swaps.

6) What is something you've always wanted to try, but haven't yet?

I want to design a line of papergoods and Spoonflower fabric.

7) Is there any rule you can't help but break?

I cannot follow instructions or recipes as they are written. I work "on the fly".

8) What could you never live without?

My family.

9) Tell us your top five! (music, books, movies, websites - besides Etsy!)

My top 5 favorite websites:

1. Craft http://craftzine.com/

2. Paper n Stitch http://papernstitchblog.com

3. Design Sponge http://www.designspongeonline.com/

4. A Fanciful Twist http://afancifultwist.typepad.com/

5. Allrecipes http://allrecipes.com/

10) Besides Etsy, where can your work be found?

In two shops, Tangled Up In Hue in Eau Claire, WI and i like you in Minneapolis, MN

I also sell at summer art and craft fairs.

http://www.ilikeyouonline.com/

http://www.tangledupinhue.com/

11) Do you have any upcoming shows?

My next two shows are Mount Horeb Art Fair July 18 and 19th and Summer Arts Classic in Baraboo August 8th.

********************

To celebrate her feature, Xanthe will offer a drawing for a free print of the winner’s choice from her shop OddstuffbyXanthe!
To enter, just visit her shop & leave a comment here about which one you would choose.

We will randomly choose a winner next Wednesday, July 22nd.
Good luck, everyone!

7 comments:

mirasolfarm said...

Hi. I love your work. Its really groovy. I especially love the birds. and my favorite of the ones you have for sale is the red rooster.

Olga Trujillo
olgatrujillo2@mac.com

MineFull said...

Great feature Xanthe! Love the the banner and avatar too!
I <3 "Tree Love"

xo
Jen

Cat said...

Great job Xanthe! I love, love, love the studio shot...it looks so FUN (so many supplies/colors/things to play with!!!!). I really like the "room with a view" print. The colors used are just so wonderfully vibrant!

Erin said...

Ooh! I looove Xanthe and am so happy you featured her! We bought one of her awesome prints as a Christmas present for my sister last year (at the pre-Xmas Etsy trunk show at Lazy Jane's). I love every single thing she has. LOVE.

But! If I had to choose, I'd probably choose "Almost Home." I think. ;)

jess said...

I love everything in Xanthe's shop! I've been trying to decide for a loooong time - literally months & months! Great interview!

Julie at Perfect Paper Shop said...

I really love the colors, but I think the most intriguing thing about your work is the textures that appear when you really study it.

Julie

Mimi said...

Hey! Nice feature, and I agree, your studio looks fun to be in! I just saw the magazine you mentioned in Border's in Eau Claire last week - I'd never seen it before. I sat and read it for an hour - should have bought it!

My favorite print in your shop right now is the Red Rooster ... although I really love the one pictured in this feature, too, of the two birds on blue.

Good luck at your upcoming shows!