This week’s featured shop is OddStuffbyXanthe, a delightfully fanciful place to find original prints and collages, including jewelry!
1) Tell us about your work & what drew you to it.
Right now I mostly work in painted paper collage although my background is in jewelry and metalworking. I injured my wrists years ago and could no longer forge metal. I puttered around trying different mediums and being a Stay-at-Home Mom. Just before my youngest started school I bought a copy of Somerset Studio magazine at Borders in
2) What is most enjoyable about your work?
I feel like it is playtime! I love creating interesting textures with paint. There is no wrong way to do any of this, I may not like a result, but I learn from the process.
3) What is your biggest challenge?
Finding the time to work. I guess that can be a challenge when you work from home. It is hard for me to ignore what needs to be done around the house and the yard to focus on studio time. I also am active in volunteer work and find it hard to say "no" when help is needed!
4) How are you inspired?
My children are a huge inspiration. I am trying to recapture what most adults loose, that simplicity of shape, color, and line that kids naturally have in their art. I'm doing my best to embrace a sense of whimsy and not be too critical.
5) Apart from creating, what do you enjoy? What are you passionate about?
I love to read, garden, and to cook. I do a lot of crafts and projects with my kids. When I can, I participate in swap-bot swaps.
6) What is something you've always wanted to try, but haven't yet?
I want to design a line of papergoods and Spoonflower fabric.
7) Is there any rule you can't help but break?
I cannot follow instructions or recipes as they are written. I work "on the fly".
8) What could you never live without?
9) Tell us your top five! (music, books, movies, websites - besides Etsy!)
My top 5 favorite websites:
1. Craft http://craftzine.com/
2. Paper n Stitch http://papernstitchblog.com
3. Design Sponge http://www.designspongeonline.com/
4. A Fanciful Twist http://afancifultwist.typepad.com/
5. Allrecipes http://allrecipes.com/
10) Besides Etsy, where can your work be found?
In two shops, Tangled Up In Hue in
I also sell at summer art and craft fairs.
11) Do you have any upcoming shows?
My next two shows are Mount Horeb Art Fair July 18 and 19th and Summer Arts Classic in Baraboo August 8th.
To celebrate her feature, Xanthe will offer a drawing for a free print of the winner’s choice from her shop OddstuffbyXanthe!
To enter, just visit her shop & leave a comment here about which one you would choose.
We will randomly choose a winner next Wednesday, July 22nd.
Good luck, everyone!