Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Moo Crew Feature

Our featured member this week is Julie from Perfect Paper Shop!
She has a great eye for the color combinations & layouts
with perfect little touches that bring it all together.

1) Tell us about your work & what drew you to it.

We took a belated honeymoon to Italy & Spain. I really wanted to hang on to all those memories. My husband suggested that I make a scrapbook. After I got over the enormity of the task, I really enjoyed it. It took me several months, but every time I worked on it I got to relive the trip. My husband loves it.



















My workspace

2) What is most enjoyable about your work?

I am a scientist by trade with degrees in botany, molecular biology, & medical technology. There is always a "right" answer &, for me, I found it comforting to know that I had it "right". Since developing my creative side, I have realized how liberating it is to enjoy the process & the final product without being focused on weather I am right or wrong. Right now, I am really excited about creating a line of hand-stitched paper embellishments & scrapbooks.


















A sneak peek at the upcoming hand-stitched
line.

3) What is your biggest challenge?

My biggest challenge is finding the time to create all the things that are running around in my head these days. I have three kids. The oldest just turned 4 & the youngest is 9 months. My husband travels three or four days a week. I end up getting up early or staying up late to work on my stuff. I also have a really hard time keeping my space organized enough to work in it. My work space takes up one side of our large walk-in closet. The mess keeps expanding & seems to be taking on a life of its own.

4) How are you inspired?

I never realized how much design there is in this world until I started looking - clothing, advertising, billboards, magazines, cereal boxes, junk mail - it's everywhere! I find a lot of great color combinations & composition ideas in all of these places.

5) Apart from creating, what do you enjoy?

I really love cooking & traveling.

6) What is something you've always wanted to try, but haven't yet?

I would like to do a craft show & start a blog. I would also love to learn to surf & down hill ski.

7) What is your most cherished handmade item?

The first scrapbook I made is my favorite just because it opened the door to a whole new world of opportunities. I also have a few really great drawings & cards that my kids have given me that I could never part with.

My first scrapbook - Siena, Italy

8) Is there any rule you can't help but break?

Rules? There are rules?

9) What could you never live without?

I could never live without my family, especially my husband.

10) Besides Etsy, where can your work be found?

I have a Facebook page for my shop. There are a few photos of some projects there that you will not see anywhere else. I am trying to be more proactive about updating it. If I can't update a Facebook page on a regular basis, my blogging dreams are not looking good!

11) Do you have any current or ongoing specials?

I am offering free shipping within the continental U.S. & reduced international shipping now through August 19th. Just mention this feature at check out!

12) Do you have any upcoming shows?

I don't have any shows planned, but I'm thinking about getting my feet wet durig the Christmas season this year.























Another sneak peek at the hand-stitched line.


To celebrate her feature, Julie, is having a giveaway!

One lucky winner will receive their choice of either any item from Perfect Paper Shop
- OR -
a set of 4 custom cards (5x5 or 5x7).

To enter, visit her shop & leave a comment about your favorite item.
A winner will be chosen randomly next Wednesday using random.org.
Good luck!

5 comments:

Xanthe said...

Nice interview and beautiful work...

I don't need to be entered in the drawing since I won the last one :-)

Anonymous said...

i am waiting on one of her creations, so excited, such a lovely person to chat to, fantastic interview ;-p

wiredwonders

Mary said...

I like the birthday card set. And the It's a Girl accordian book! Great stuff! I tried scrapbooking but found it to be too overwhelming, so many choices, and I tend to have the "there is a right way" mindset and was always too worried of doing it the "wrong" way. Wow, that's a rambling mess!

sjhiller said...

I love your work. The attention to detail - stitching, extra embellishments make all your work so unique and beautiful! I hope I win this drawing!

britney said...

Her creations are awesome!!
___________________
Britney
Online Marketing of your brand