Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Moo Crew Feature

This week's featured shop is Patti Bears Place.
Here you will find a great selection of handpainted & crocheted gifts.

1) Tell us about your work & what drew you to it.

I think I have been painting my whole life. I picked it up again after my kids were grown for a way to unwind. I have Myasthenia Gravis & stress is my number one trigger.

Patti's shop in Montello

My son found this little shop in Montello & rented it. He told me that I had about two weeks to get it ready to open. No more sitting home feeling sorry for myself.... it has worked wonders. I do a few craft shows each year but mainly paint to fill the shop & online orders. In the evening to relax, I have begun crocheting sweaters and hats for babies and toddlers.

Crocheted frog hat

2) What is most enjoyable about your work?

The best part about painting & having the shop, is that it's right in town. I am very involved in the community happenings & get to meet so many wonderful people who stop in & share my love of painting.


3) What is you rbiggest challenge?

My biggest challenge would be that I am not as computer savvy as I would like to be ( I really could use some help with that) & my MG. On bad days just getting dressed is a chore, so I pace myself.


4) How are you inspired?
I am inspired by the items I'm painting. The shape of an odd piece of wood, an old furniture piece, field stones that become racoons or cats, etc.

welcome signs

5) Apart from creating, what do you enjoy?

I love to be involved in the revitalization effort here in Montello & our downtown business owners group.


6) What is something you've always wanted to try?

Glass melting. I have just bought a kiln so, hopefully I will get to over the winter.


7) What is your most cherished handmade item?

Doilies made by my grandmother. She crocheted to make ends meet her whole life & we all have something from her tucked away to give to the children someday. We have christening outfits, a tablecloth from the 40's, & the doilies that were all made with love.


8) Is there any rule you can't help butbreak?

I don't always seal the wood. It's so time consuming & it doesn't let the charater of the wood come through.

Crocheted hats, jackets, & blankets

9) What could you never live without?

My liner brush. I have to run all the way to Madison to pick them up & couldn't paint without one.


10) Tell us you top five!

Music- John Cougar, Rod Stewart, The Beatles, & I love some of today's music but the names escape me!

Book- I read mostly cook books. My newest favorite is Artisan Bread.

Movies- The Quiet Man, The Notebook, anything with Mel Gibson, Nodding Hill
Websites- gogo pin for making great ads, & cafemom - I get a lot of visits from there.


11) Besides Etsy, where can your work be found?

On my website.


12) Do you have any current specials?

Through the end of August, we are having a 25% off sale!


13) Do you have any upcoming shows?

Hopefully I will be in a show in Madison in November.
I will be at Mercy Medical in Oshkosh in November as well.

And, I am still looking for a few other good shows to add.

Bear signs

To celebrate her feature, Patti is offering one lucky reader a $20 gift certicicate to her shop!

Just visit her etsy shop & leave a comment here about your favorite item!

Good luck everyone!

No comments: