Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Moo Crew Feature

Our featured shop this week is, Winged Woman Art.
Everything is this shop is beautifully crafted original artwork.
All of the images below will take you to this amazing shop!
Simply click and enjoy.


1) Tell us about your work and what drew you to it.

I've always loved to create art and being an introvert, it is one way I express myself well. After attending Mount Mary in Milwaukee (a women's liberal arts college), my work took on an environmental and humanitarian edge. Now, I am committed to changing the world for the better through my art... through the uplifting and inspirational images themselves and the contributions I make to environmental and humanitarian groups from selling my art.

Stacie's workspace

2) What is most enjoyable about your work?

Making a mess! I love to work in charcoal and pastels by coating a wooden panel surface solid black or with color, which tends to be messy, and then sanding out the design... again, messy. I also create sculptures in cement which tends to be a lot like playing in the mud! ( I currently only sell these locally, because of the weight and cost to ship). And somehow, even with my jewelry work I tend to leave a huge mess to clean up.

Ancient Mother
Cast Stone
Currently on display at Gary's Rock Shop in Viroqua, WI

3) What is your biggest challenge?

Besides cleaning up my messes? Finding time and inspiration to create while juggling day jobs and worrying about money to pay the bills. And trying to stay fresh and true to my vision without pandering to "What can I make that will sell cheaply?"


4) How are you inspired?

One word... NATURE. I live in a little cabin-esque house (basically a studio with bed and refrigerator) in a breathtaking river valley in rural Wisconsin, so inspiration is rarely further than bare-feet and an open heart away. All I usually need to keep my muses singing in is a walk in the woods, or a night of sleeping under the stars.

Eternity Goddess in Bronze

5) Apart from creating, what do enjoy?

My family. My animal companions. Our Mother Earth. I'm also passionate about promoting the arts and I do a lot of volunteer work with local businesses and organizations to create opportunities for local visual artists to exhibit and promote their work.


6) What is something you've always wanted to try, but haven't yet?

I recently went rock-climbing with my brother... that was one thing I've wanted to do and would like to try again... I'd really like to be able to climb a huge rock face and then enjoy the exhilaration of the view from the top ( a huge accomplishment for someone who is afraid of heights). I'd also like to go larger with my work... life size sculptures and paintings over five feet. Cost and time have been limiting factors.

Stacie's rock climbing adventure

7) What is your most cherished handmade item?

A rocking chair cover and cushion my grandma made. It's all patch-worked and layered and reminds me so much of her, and how she used to dress in my grandpa's old shirts & high-water raggedy pants.

Grandma's chair

8) Is there any rule you can't help but break?

I do have a problem coloring outside the lines... and living outside the lines.


9) What could you never live without?

Love and family, nature and my animals, a good book to read, a house full of green plants in the winter, and the ability to create art.

Stacie & her Sheepdog, Merlin

10) Besides Etsy, where can your work be found?

My website.

Local shops, galleries, and exhibits... I'm currently working on a new work for a Dream-themed exhibit coming up in October at the Greenman Music Hall in Viroqua, WI.

Earth and Air
Charcoal and Pastel

11) Do you have any current or ongoing specials?
I always have "Free Shipping" within the U.S. and on orders to the U.K., I also try to keep my pricing slightly lower when customers buy direct since I don't have any wholesale discounts or consignment fees taken out of the sale.



2 comments:

Julie at Perfect Paper Shop said...

Great feature!

Lisa Ferin Designs said...

Nice work Stacie! Sometimes nothing beats a really good mess, huh?!? I love "earth and air".