Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Moo Crew Feature

Our featured shop this week is The Painted Daisy.
This wonderful shop is filled with great style and lasting quality.
As always, click any image in this post to have a look for yourself!


1) Tell us about your work and what drew you to it!

I love fabric and creating usable items. My great grandmother was a big inspiration. She made all sorts of wonderful things out of repurposed fabric. I still have the appliqued Holly Hobby quilt she made me for Christmas when I was a little girl. All the appliqued dresses were remnants of my great grandpa's neckties and p.j.'s, flour sacks, and any other little scraps she had hoarded.

I salvaged many of her vintage linens and sewing supplies/fabrics after she passed away and began adding to the collection over time. A few years ago my collection began exceeding a reasonable number of Rubbermaid totes. I decided to use the beautiful linens and fabrics to create new items I could display or use in my home; first tote bags, then pillows, and finally clothing. I love combining vintage linens and textiles with new mod fabrics for a unique and eco-friendly item!


2) What is most enjoyable about your work?

I love watching a piece of fabric become a useful item. It is also inspiring to create something new from something old! Finally, I love working from home.


3) What is your biggest challenge?

Committing time to the computer, updating my Etsy site, blogging, WIST, etc. when I'd rather be sewing!


4) Apart from creating, what do you enjoy?

I love doing things with my son, age 9, and daughter, age 6. We love to fish, hike, bike, bake goodies, and they share my creative streak, so we do a lot of craft projects together. My husband and I are renovating a 120+ year old house, so that's about all we do together (ha ha ha).

I'm an avid gardener, both ornamental and vegetable. I also love to cook the vegetables I grow. Summer mornings you can find me biking between Stoughton and Edgerton and winter mornings I'm probable at the gym (or sleeping.... it's a toss up). I also love to read.


5) What is your most cherished handmade item?

My kitchen curtains. They are hand appliqued poppies on flour sack material. My great grandmother made them in the 1930's. I took them down from her kitchen windows when we cleaned out her home, reinforced the fabric and re-hung them in my own kitchen.


6) What could you never live without?

My sewing machine(s), books, unsweetened ice tea and my bike.


7) Tell us your top five!

Music - Nickelback, Steve Miller Band, Rob Thomas/Matchbox 20, Sugarland, and Bon Jovi

Movies - Four Weddings & A Funeral, The Bourne Identity, Top Gun, Dances With Wolves and French Kiss




8) Besides Etsy, where can your work be found?

Street Scene
Lexington, KY

I'm working on getting into a few local Madison area shops as well.


9) Do you have any current or ongoing specials?

I'm participating in our WIST Oktoberfest Sale. All my Frances Skirts (for girls) are 20% off and all bags are 15% off.


10) Do you have any upcoming shows?

October 17th, 4-7, and 18th, 9-1
St. Ann's Catholic Church Craft Fair
324 N. Harrison, Stoughton

November 21, 9-4
Holiday Open House
324 N. Monroe St., Stoughton

November 21, 10-5
DIY Trunk Show
Pulaski Park Auditorium on W. Blackhawk, Chicago, IL



No comments: