Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Moo Crew Feature

This week we are featuring Pointy Kitty Studios!
Click any image to peruse the beautiful selection of artisan jewelry.

1) Tell us about your work and what drew you to it.

My work is twofold -- I have degrees in documentary film production and commercial photography, worked professionally for about a decade in marketing and event photography, and now have been focusing my studio's offerings on two particular niches: earthy, handmade gemstone and metalsmithed jewelry, which I've been offering for sale for the last six years or so, and more recently, jury slides and marketing/branding materials for other artists.

Silver Moons

2) What is most enjoyable about your work?

In a world where everything is all hustle and bustle, when I'm making my jewelry, or working on a photo shoot, it quiets my mind and helps me center and focus on one thing without having to worry about the millions of thins going on around me.

...and when I *am* too worried or stressed out, I force myself to sit down and work on something, even if it's only for five minutes, to quiet myself; it's therapeutic.


3) What is your biggest challenge?

Right now, my health. I'm now running my studio without any other job as backup, and while the economy has caused a few issues (jewelry being a luxury item and all), I have some chronic health issues that keep me from working as much as I'd like to, which is often frustrating for me. My work is my therapy, but I'm also a workaholic, so I hate imposed limits, especially when creativity strikes!


4) How are you inspired?

Textures. I enjoy looking at all sorts of things -- going to museums, wandering through the woods, or a city. I think my biggest problem is that I'm a very tactile person, so I'm always *touching* things. This translates into a lot of my work, especially the metals, so it's not a bad thing (unless you're the museum curator who's afraid I'm going to touch the priceless oil paintings!)

Anachrotechnic Cufflinks

5) Apart from creating, what do you enjoy?

I've always secretly been an enabler, and as I started really trying to get my jewelry studio off the ground, I also found a need in my local arts scene for someone who could offer quality jury slides for art and craft fairs at a reasonable rate -- quality slides are *crucial* to an artist getting their work seen in the bigger juried shows. The same goes for getting their message about their work out to the public! I was just finishing my photography degree after a number of years in non-profit marketing, and thought I might be able to be that person.

If there's anything I can do to assist them in delivering their message, and get more handmade arts and crafts into more peoples' homes, I'm all for it, so I've decided to add those services to my studio's offerings as well.

A Small Story That Never Happened

7) What is your most cherished handmade item?

A hand-pyrographed (wood-burnt) jewelry box I got from my uncle as a wedding gift. It was made by my maternal great grandmother and given as a Christmas gift December 25, 1909, according to the date on the bottom of the box. Also inside was her favorite fuchsia bead crochet rope necklace.


8) Is there any rule you can't help but break?

Staying inside the box. Show me the box, sure. But I'm more likely to decorate the outside of it and build around it and multiple ways out of it than stay inside it.


9) What could you never live without?

My boys and Miss J; comfy pajama pants' the plaid wool blanket my grandparents got me in Mexico when I was seven; my camera; good books' and a roll of gaffer's tape.

This is Where the Story Ends

10) Tell us your top five!

Books: Snow Crash, Lessons in Taxidermy, Pillars of the Earth, Sandman, Preacher, Sophie's World.

Movies: Bladerunner, Shawshank Redemption, Cane Toads, Himmel Uber Berlin, Princess Bride, and vintage hygiene/social commentary films.

Music: Elvis Costello, Peter Murphy, Depeche Mode, Johnny Cash and John Coltrane.

Food: I have a special weakness for bacon-wrapped water chestnuts, dark chocolate dipped candied ginger, certain sushi, brie en croute, and really really good peppermint tea.

11) Besides Etsy, where can your work be found?

Online you can find my work at my website and on my flickr feed.

In the real world, you can find my work at the following retail boutiques and galleries:

Absolutely Art, Madison, WI
Savoir Faire, Madison, WI

... as well as these shows.

Anachrotechnic Hairsticks

12) Do you have any current or ongoing specials?

I have a monthly email newsletter, and the people who receive that get first dibs on all of my new collections and sales before any of the rest of my customers do. You can sign up on the front page of my website!

13) Do you have any upcoming shows?

Yes! Visit this link for a complete listing!

No comments: