Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Moo Crew Feature 12/2

This week's featured shop is The Sitting Tree.
Stop by and see all the gorgeous hand knits for children
just by clicking any image.


1) Tell us about your work and what drew you to it.

Like a lot of girls, I learned to crochet from my grandmother, inspiring me to create 1000’s of yards of chain necklaces, pot holders, and some very awkward looking sweaters. I spent many unsuccessful years trying to manipulate crochet’s shape and texture to make it wearable like fabric, but I could never make my projects turn out like the vision in my head. About five years ago, I spent a whole month trying to design cables in crochet when my hubby asked me why I didn’t just learn to knit them? I bought myself a basic learn to knit kit, and haven’t gone back to crochet since!

I spent one whole summer under an apple tree learning to knit, watching my kids tend their plots in the garden, counting stars, identifying plants, insects and animals, and wondering how I could combine all the bounties of nature in with my knitting. I decided on children’s clothing. I wanted clothing that they would be able to wear all day long and always be comfortable. I wanted each item to be as natural, beautiful and unique as each of my children , but practical and durable so that they could be free to roll in the grass, jump in the puddles, and snuggle up to the bonfire. I created my patterns. I knit my pants. I searched around for places to sell handmade clothing and discovered Etsy!


2) What is most enjoyable about your work?

I love that I can take my work with me anywhere and everywhere I go. It fits into our daily lives and allows me to work and home school our three boys.


4)What is your biggest challenge?

Staying focused and prioritizing my work! I have so many ideas (which usually come in a dream at 3am and I can’t get back to sleep) and there are just not enough hours in the day to make everything I want to create. I’m trying to work on one project at a time, through to completion, instead of starting a new order every day.


4) Apart from creating, what are you passionate about?

Right now, I’m passionate about foraging for edible plants in our local area!!! We had a blast last summer collecting wild berries, fruits, and plants. Next year, we are going to try eating the majority of our meals from foraged and homegrown foods.


5) What is something you've always wanted to do?

My family and I are dreaming of homesteading and organic farming. We have a small organic garden at home, but living in town doesn’t allow for chickens and sheep!



6) What is your most cherished handmade item?

My grandmother crocheted me a large afgan when I was very little. It is a beautiful variegated yarn of pastel greens and yellows and is still as soft as the down of a day old chick.


7) Is there any rule you can’t help but break?

All of them! I hate rules. Tell me I can’t do something, and I’m guaranteed to find a way around it!


8) What could you never live without?

I could never live without chap stick.


9) Tell us your top five!

· Gloria Naylor
· Mayflies
· Twilight series (but please don’t tell anyone!)
· Foxfire books
· Mothering.com

10) Besides Etsy, where can your work be found?

You can find my work at Rivertown Artworks in Osceola, WI and Lake Pepin Art & Design Center in Pepin, WI.

No comments: