Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Moo Crew Feature

1) Tell us about your work and what drew you to it!

One day, one ofmy friends, a jewelry designer, was wearing a stunning barrette. I asked, "Where did you get that? Did you make it?" She told me that her mother had bought it for her in Italy, and that it cost about $100, and that you probably couldn't find anything like it in the U.S. I started thinking..... I bet I could make interesting barrettes, and they wouldn't have to cost $100. I started making barrettes with fabric, beads, ribbon, etx. all mounted on sheet aluminum. I gradually drifted into singed fabric flower hair accessories, and bridal headpieces. I'm now experimenting with headbands and different shapes for my hair clips.
Red silk fleurette (stylized flower) hair clip, using two layers of the “fabric yo-yo” technique, with onyx beads sewn in the center

2) What is most enjoyable about your work?
The learning and evolving is probably the most enjoyable thing about this work. I can see myself evolving as a designer, and I can see my grasp of technique improving.


3) What is your biggest challenge?

I think by biggest challenge is to sell. I don't have much experience with it, and we all know that it's not nearly as much fun as our creative process.


4) How are you inspired?

I'm frequently inspired by the materials I have in front of me; the fabric, the beads, the sequins, etc. Sometimes I'm ispired by the flowers in local gardens and in garden catalogs that I receive ---- I have sort of a botanical fixation. Sometimes, the ideas just come to me out of the blue.

Pink organdy peony brooch with gold glass seed beads in the center

5) Apart from creating, what do you enjoy?

I love music, movies, and travel!


6) What is something you've always wanted to do?

I've always wanted to vacation in Hawaii, and this Febuary, I'm going to go with a friend!

This one is a Christmas-y fleurette hair clip….gold satin, red silk brocade, gold organdy ribbon rolled rose.

7) Besides Etsy, where can your work be found?


At the moment, my work can only be found at one other location, and that is the gift shop at the Boerner Botanical Garden in Hales Corners, WI.


8) Do you have any current or ongoing specials in you Etsy shop?

I always give 20% discounts to my friends, Facebook and otherwise.


Rosebud barrette----ribbon embroidery on velvet

No comments: