Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Moo Crew Feature

.

We pay a visit this week to Shawna, who owns a wonderful shop called Babysmith, featuring soft and 'playable' gifts for babies, like this adorable snowman busy blanket (pictured at left). She also has some very cute valentine items in her shop! Read Shawna's interview, then feel free to pay her a visit at her Etsy shop.

1) Tell us about your work & what drew you to it. I was laid off in May and needed to supplement my husband's income. I have two little girls, 6 months and 3 1/2 years, and I wanted to make them some toys and wanted to pick up sewing again. I hadn't sewn since middle school, but grew up with a Mom who sewed for everyone I knew. She made everything from bridal gowns to baby nurseries to doll dresses and all things in between. I guess I picked up more about sewing growing up than I thought I did.

2) What is most enjoyable about your work?
Seeing my older daughter's response when I make something. She always wants, '"Mommy to make me one, too."

3) What is your biggest challenge?
Patience. Being a stay at home mom, which I've never been full time before, and having two little ones, I lose my patience more than I want to. Especially when their naps are too short and I need to get an order sewn and in the mail.

4) How are you inspired?
I'm inspired by a lot of things. I walk into a fabric store and look around and try to come up with things to make with fabrics. I also love to draw inspiration from fellow Etsy people and what they make.

5) Apart from creating, what do you enjoy/ what are you passionate about?
By trade I am an architect, but I I am currently unemployed. I love to work with clients to get their dreams out of their heads and on paper, then take that paper and work with the builder to build their dreams into their house, building or office.

6) What is something you've always wanted to try, but haven't yet?
Sewing clothes - I'm too afraid to mess up. I'm a perfectionist. If I can't do it perfectly, I usually don't even try.

7) What is your most cherished handmade item?
Probably my girls nurseries. They were a collaboration my mom and I did. See attached pictures, Julianne, right and Mollie, left.

8) Is there any rule you can't help but break?
I like to be inspired other people's work, but change it to suit my needs. It has gotten me in to a little trouble lately.

9) What could you never live without?
Learning! I love to learn and experience new things, while always challenging myself.

10) Tell us your top five! (music, books, movies, websites - besides Etsy!, foods, anything)

TV Shows
Ace of Cakes
Good Eats
Building Bigger
Olivia (the pig)

Movies
Ever After
Mission Impossible (All Three)
Night at the Museum
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe & Prince Caspian
Jungle Book, the original animated one

11) Besides Etsy, where can your work be found?
I just started a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/BabySmith/179111283636?ref=mf

and am thinking about a blog.

12) Do you have any current or ongoing specials?
Now through Valentine's Day, I am going to include a free busy square with the purchase of two or more items from my shop.

13) Do you have any upcoming shows?
I will be in the Just Between Friends sale in April, and will be hopefully being trying out a few Craft Fairs - stay posted!

Readers, you have a chance to win $15.00 off anything at Shawna's Babysmith Etsy store! Visit her store between now and next Tuesday, and leave a comment back at this blog telling Shawna about one of your favorite items is and why you like it. Make sure you leave your email so that if you win, we can contact you. Winner will be posted on this blog, next Wednesday, February 3. Good luck!!



2 comments:

歡樂 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kristin said...

Wow, your shop is darling!! I just love that you took such inspiration from your daughters. Everything on your site is adorable... it was hard for me to pick just one! I liked the busy blankets, though-- and I'm so partial to monkeys. I have a 6 wk. old niece that I kept thinking of when I saw all your stuff... I think the silly monkeys blanket with the brown minky side is my fave. :) And hey--- you DO sew clothes, those diaper covers are the sweetest things!!! Don't sell yourself short, sister!! :D