Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Member Feature: Jen Hough

Jen Hough makes Jewelry. Sterling silver jewelry. Mostly rings. Her Etsy shop is located at
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jenhough. Jen says she's drawn to making jewelry because, "at its best, it can be tiny, wearable sculpture - an idea that is a goal and constant inspiration to me." Jen gets further inspiration from the world around her, whether it be from the city streets, or the back of the slow Oldsmobile that she "has been trying to pass for the last 10 miles."

Her finished pieces can be a surprise, even to her. "I guess you never know what will end up in my finished pieces," she explains. " Often I start with a very firm concept in mind only to have the cut shapes shift into an even better configuration. As long as I am not working on a custom piece, I try to stay open to change in whatever stage it takes place in. "

In her work, Jen enjoys the process of being able to take sheets of metal, cut, bend and manipulate until it becomes something engaging. She loves showing that simplicity can be a disguise for detail. Hidden in her streamlined designs are the many tiny decisions that she made along the way. Those tiny details, says Jen, add subtle interest to each piece.

When she's not creating , Jen loves traveling, and it doesn't matter where to! "Anywhere, any time, by any transportation," she declares. "I love seeing things I have never seen before, and meeting the people there."

I asked Jen if there is something she has always wanted to try." Her answer: "I have never done pro wrestling, but I hear it may not be real, so..." Guess you're out of luck on that one then, Jen. We may be hearing from readers on this!

Jen's most cherished handmade item is a simple sterling silver band that she wears on her pinkie finger. " I learned to solder on this ring, it has about ten solder joints and of course it is all banged up and scratched. I have a permanent indent in my finger where it fits perfectly for the past ten years," Jen explains.

Like many of us, Jen values her family and says they are what she could not imagine her life without.
Her second love is movies. Here is a run down of a few of them, followed by Jen's comment on each:
You and Me and Everyone We Know by Miranda July: Everything she makes is gold!
Everything is Illuminated: A movie that remained in my thoughts for months after watching it. The idea of simplicity masking complexity, such a difficult idea so beautifully realized.
Beyond the Fold: A documentary about origami. Again, simple. Beautiful. Origami. Again, simple... beautiful.

In addition, Jen listens to audio books and pod casts for hours a day as she works. Her podcast recommendation is the Moth podcast, an amazing live podcast of true stories told without using notes. "I can never guess where these stories are going. " Audio books by Augusten Burroughs and F. Scott Fitzgerald also top the list of Jen's favorites in this category.

Jen's Etsty shop can be found at http://www.etsy.com/shop/jenhough. She also works and shows her jewelry at a beautiful gallery in Door County called J. Jeffrey Taylor.

Jan had recently started a fan page on Facebook and is offering 10% off to fans through the month of May. She also offers free worldwide shipping on everything. Also, look for Jen at the Door County Festival of the Arts in Sister Bay in August. This will be her 3rd year there.

The newest addition to Jen's line of jewelry is a pair of earrings named This Time Tomorrow. A very lucky winner of a random drawing will win a pair valued at $100! To enter, visit Jen's Etsy shop. Then come back here to leave a comment for Jen about her shop or favorite item. You have until Tuesday, May 11 to enter; the winner will be announced on Wednesday, May 12. Good Luck!!

And thanks, Jen, for being our featured member this week.

27 comments:

M. Dollar said...

Wow Love the style! and a great article to boot!

Caryn Lantz said...

I love Jen's work! I have a new custom ring from her, and it's just so unique and fab!

Vintage Barbie said...

Jen's work is amazing...my mom still raves about the custom ring I got for her. It's beautiful and so glad Jen's getting some press. Go Jen!

Michelle said...

I am a walking Jen Jewelry advertisement. I can't believe how many compliments I get on her beautiful jewelry. Keep up the great work, Jen!

Aubrey said...

Jen is a true artist! Beautiful beautiful beautiful work!

{I personally think Jen would make a fabulous addition to the WWF ;) }

Jamie of jlwproducts said...

I love your pieces especially the pendants such a great use of lines in your designs.

libertyo said...

Incredible work. Took a 2nd look to realize "This Time Tomorrow" are Jen's newest earrings - I can see this design as a pendant also! I'll have more wonderful things to say when my newly ordered custom ring arrives:-)

Diann said...

I get compliments on my Jen Hough ring all the time -- especially from my mother who wants her own.

That70sShoppe said...

Absolutely love this ring I saw in the newly listed items on Etsy front page.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/46359591/this-side-of-paradise

Matsuri said...

Awaiting my custom wedding ring from Jen. She sent it out today, I'm so excited!

nahry said...

Jen’s jewelry is amazing and affordable. I can’t wait to purchase my next piece.

Jennifer said...

I looked at her page a few months ago and had an amazingly difficult time deciding what to purchase. There wasn't a piece I didn't like. I bought a necklace, but I'll be back for more. Her service was excellent and the design is beautiful.

Bead Lola Bead said...

I love Jen's artistic style! Although I really like the Linear Tide ring and the Convergence ring, I think the This Time Tomorrow earrings would look quite stunning on my lobes! =D

Angie said...

Love all the rings! I'll just wear one on each finger...lol. I think it's that all the designs are so unique!

miss lovesick said...

i found jen on etsy by chance and immediately fell in love with her work. she is an amazing artist with a dedication to jewelry making. i am honored to have a piece made by her. she rocks...!*!*
alli

lainierupp said...

It was hard to pick my favorite, but if I have to pick, I like one of the rings that is actually pictured in the blog, Stream Line.

Your work is beautiful Jen!

~Elaine

Katherine Washington said...

I have a Jen original ring that is gorgeous. It is one of my all time favorites and I wear it quite often. I love the quality of her jewelry. They are unique pieces that will last forever. She is extremely talented at what she does!

mattadolfineci@yahoo.com said...

Jen, your work is one of a kind. I really enjoy your style. You make lines just go the right way.

ann said...

Beautiful work! There is not one piece that I do not like. :)

essemcee said...

Vintage mobiles are inspirational! Almost as inspirational as pro-mexican wrestling! Now make some jewelry with some machismo!

Cyndo said...

Jen's jewelry is better than an ice cold Sasparilla on a hot summer's day!! But seriously my boyfriend gave me a necklace made by Jen on V-Day three years ago and now I have a hard time buying jewelry anywhere else. She is always coming up with something new and I always get compliments when I wear her pieces. Thanks Jen!

jen said...

wow, thanks for the kind words everyone! Good luck in the drawing!

Bonny Schinkmaster said...

I just got a new Jen design for Mothers Day…gorgeous!

Stefan said...

My wife loves your jewelry...I can never go wrong giving her one of your designs!

Nichole said...

There is nothing in her collection I don't absolutely love. It is hard to believe my little cousin that I used to build forts in the woods with, and make movies with has turned into such an amazing and talented artist!
Love you Jenny!!!

Lynn said...

I love the sculptural simplicity of Jen's work. Thanks for the article!

Samantha said...

Oh Jen, I think you would be an excellent pro wrestler. Even if it isn't real...

Beautiful jewels as always. Awesome article, keep up the amazing work, Jen!